Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sister Abelia


abelia-grandiflora plant
 August 4, 2011

Sister Abelia

Thirty one years ago, a young girl was born in Opelousas, LA.  Sara Elizabeth Landreneau, Sara Little Bit, Sister Abelia. 

For as long as I can remember my dad’s LSU Ag Center coworkers, who my sisters and I affectionately know as uncles and aunts, called me Sister Abelia. I never understood where the name came from until recently.  My mom was pregnant with me thirty-one summers ago while dad was in graduate school at LSU working on his master’s degree.  Dad, Aunt Sheridan Reed and Aunt Joan McCrory were in a horticulture class (fun, right?) together and associated the abelia plant with my pending birth.  Dad finished the class and returned to Washington, LA on a Friday and this Monday’s Child was born – August 4, 1980 at 6:44 am! 

I’ve often thought about blogging but never thought people would want to hear what I have to say…or that I’d actually be able to update it often enough.  Last year, I anxiously welcomed turning the “big 3-0”, but often found myself through the last twelve months saying I needed to write a book…let’s just say 30 did not welcome me back.  As this birthday approached, I thought again about documenting my life somehow and finally worked the courage to start this blog. 

I truly hope you enjoy knowing about my life and family via this blog.  I hope to share my highs, lows, dreams, history, and of course, my sweet little boy Graham with you all…

Until next time…

Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, Wednesday's child is full of woe, Thursday's child has far to go, Friday's child is loving and giving, Saturday's child must work for a living, But the child that's born on the Sabbath day, Is fair and wise and good and gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment