Friday, August 19, 2011

GO GREEK - as long as it's pink & green!

August 19, 2011

GO GREEK- as long as it's pink & green!

Many years ago, this St. Landry Parish girl moved to LSU and participated in Rush (now called Recruitment). In August 1998, I pledged Delta Zeta Sorority and over the past 13 years (has it really been that long?), I’ve been blessed to meet the most amazing women of all ages that are also members of this fraternity.  I serve as the Delta Zeta Baton Rouge Area Alumnae Chapter President, and part of our mission is to support the Sigma Chapter of DZ at LSU.  The most time consuming part of the chapter support is during recruitment – and for the last week, I’ve been working “behind the scenes” to help recruitment run smoothly.  For those of you not familiar with recruitment, visit here for an overview. 

This year, over 1,000 women signed up to participate in the historical tradition of rush to become a member of one of LSU’s ten sororities.  The alumnae and active members’ moms scurry around in the kitchen and between parties to refill ice water glasses, coke/diet coke/root beer floats, raspberry iced tea and more ice water.  I’ve had the pleasure of working with so many alumnae of all ages and moms this week and am so thankful for their hours of volunteer service. 

glasses and glasses of ice water...
sigma chapter readying for the start of an 'ice water' party

alums working to get the ice water out between parties...the ones behind the scenes!

I am more than honored to work for a chapter that allowed me a bit of home while at LSU and still is a place of memories and fun when I return.  The active members of DZ work so hard to bring in a new class of women to carry on the DZ traditions.   I am thankful that in this position I get to continue to know the active members of DZ and remain proud that they are such beautiful women – on the inside and out.  

sigma chapter house sign of historical significance to lsu - taken by alumna jeanne lester

Here’s a quick story (though there are many more) about the connections that make such a large network of Delta Zetas a little bit smaller:  Amber, (visit her blog here), a talented member of the senior class is from Carencro…her mom, Stephanie, used to work for my mom when she was pregnant for Amber - and used to drive my sister and me to school when my mom needed her to.   

a little camera shy, but she agreed i could use this adorable picture!


The DZ mascot is a turtle; the reason the turtle charm from my birthday necklace is special to me. Part of the Delta Zeta Creed states “To those whom my life may touch in slight measure,/May I give graciously/Of what is mine;” I received a text from an active DZ member on my birthday telling me they are lucky to have someone care about them and help them through life…yet, I truly feel that I am the lucky one to continue to watch these young women from freshman year move on in life and become adult women in society.  I hope that soon other alums from my years will take the time to visit with these girls and work with our alumnae chapter.   

Until next time…

DZ Founders

The Delta Zeta Creed

To the world,
I promise temperance and insight and courage,
To crusade for justice,
To seek the truth and defend it always;
To those whom my life may touch in slight measure,
May I give graciously
Of what is mine;
To my friends,
Understanding and appreciation;
To those closer ones,
Love that is ever steadfast;
To my mind,
Growth;
To myself,
Faith
That I may walk truly
In the light of the Flame.

-- Dorothy Mumford Williams, Alpha Zeta (Adelphi University), 1939 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I needed a refresher!

    Christine Fisher

    ReplyDelete