Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Eroding Sensitivity

I’m the queen of gullible (and over committing to things).  Evidence here on the proof of being overly gullible.  I love a good laugh or practical joke.  I woke up expecting to see many false headlines today.  As my morning routine includes, I pulled up Facebook only to see a photo of a positive pregnancy test – you know the one with two lines – and smiled thinking of how lovely it would be for this family of four to become a family of five.  Lucky them!  THEN it hit me.  This was her version of an April Fool's joke.  I hope she’s laughing; I’m not. 

I guess she doesn't realize that her joke is one that many take quite seriously.  Wonder if she’s thought of the many women (likely her fb friends like me) who are unable to experience the joy of a positive pregnancy test.  I am extremely grateful to have had that experience once.  It took a long time to see the “plus” sign, and I may never see it again. I’m OK with that.  But some struggle more than me with infertility.   

I’m guessing she’s not experienced the “joys” of infertility.  Maybe she’s never had a friend who’s heart is literally too weak to support a pregnancy, or a friend who’s the mom of three beautiful children – all adopted because she was unable to conceive, or the many friends of mine grieving the loss of their unborn child due to miscarriage.  I’m generally quiet about these topics because they are so personal.  They are not fun to discuss, yet so many women struggle with a variety of reasons they cannot conceive. 

Wonder if she thought of the many women whose constant prayer is that they can experience a positive pregnancy test.  I am not one to cast the first stone and certainly am not in denial that I've been insensitive to others more than once in my life.  Similar to the Louisiana coast line, my cervix is slowly eroding away, but one of the things I've learned through many shared experiences, especially related to some form of infertility, is to be sensitive to the struggles of others.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if all women worked to be more sensitive to the private struggles of our peers. We are all on the same team, right? 


Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment